I love running - don't I?

 Running for me is very much a love, hate, relationship.

When I was younger I was told by numerous people that I will never be a runner as I am not 'built for it'. If you looked at me back then I would probably have agreed with you, I was 5ft 3", didn't do any kind of sport and I was very chubby. 

However, to put that negative thought into a young person's head at that age is so dangerous, for years I didn't think I was made for exercise or running, or any kind of sport...but I was wrong.

Anyone and I mean ANYONE can do anything they want to, there is nothing stopping you (apart from medical issues) I had to add that in there because of course there are limitations medically but my limitations were purely mental. There was nothing physically wrong with me that could stop me, just the years of being told: "you can't do it".

Can I run now? Yes. Can I run very fast? No. Can I run Ultra Marathons? Not yet. 

Am I a runner? Yes

Anyone who runs is a runner and I won't hear otherwise. If you run regularly, no matter how far, how fast, or how long, you are getting up, showing up, and sticking to something and so you have the honour of calling yourself a runner, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I had always assumed running was such a niche thing and that I had to run a certain speed or distance to be considered part of their group but I was also wrong about that. The runners I have met and seen outside whilst on my runs are so lovely and welcoming, most of them will give me a nod or wave as I pass by them. 

The thing that makes me dislike running sometimes is the variation in difficulty I experience. One day I can run 6K at a good pace and not feel exasperated but then the next day I will run 6K, my legs will feel like jelly and I sweat profusely...I just wish there was more consistency. There are probably some things I can change and keep more consistent but every day is a learning curve for me. 

When you have those harder runs it makes me feel a little disheartened that the amount of running I am doing is not contributing to my improvement, but then, a week later I might run a 10K in my fastest time ever. It really is an up and down journey, just like weight loss it is not linear and sometimes those harder runs force me to work harder and that will lead to easier runs in the future (I hope!). 

Personally, my running goals are focused on distance rather than speed, I have little legs and I do believe that limits my sprinting abilities somewhat, I also don't enjoy it as much as long runs. 

I am planning on running a virtual half marathon this summer and I have set myself a few other challenges along the way as well. I am not there yet, I tried to run the full 13.1 miles the other week and failed miserably but it was definitely something I can learn from. I had the energy to run more than 8 miles, which is what I ended up running, however, I started to develop blisters on the bottom of my feet so I was forced to stop. What did this teach me? 

1. I need compression socks to prevent blisters (I purchased some immediately)

2. I need to look at the trainers I am using for outdoor runs

3. I need to carry water or some kind of energy gel 

4. I need to be patient and progress my mileage slowly

This is another key thing when it comes to running - patience. You have to keep going, no matter how much you want to quit, I promise, eventually, you will start to enjoy those little milestones.

I can't tell you that running is for everyone, because like everything else, it's not. But when you put the work in the rewards you reap are definitely worth it - just like any sport. 

So yes, I love running, but I also get frustrated with it, but that's half of the fun! New challenges await every day and you just work to overcome them and make progress no matter how small.

Do you have a love/hate relationship with anything? Is it worth it? Let me know.

Have a great day 👋😄




Comments

Popular Posts