Variety is the spice of life

SPICE UP YOUR LIFE.

That wonderous song still stands strong today - and if you don't know what I'm talking about then we can't be friends (I joke - or do I?).

My point is, other than loving The Spice Girls in my youth, is that I am stuck in a rut, and in order to change that I need to change something. 

Just yesterday I realised that I have been doing my workout routine for a few months now...now usually I adjust it - at least a little - every month, so this is new for me. Do not get me wrong, my workout still challenges me every time but it's still the same moves, same days, etc.

You may think that working out 5 sometimes 6 days a week is still enough but for me, right now, I need a new challenge. In October I challenged myself to run 10k for a special virtual Halloween run, which I completed in 55 minutes (I was actually proud of myself) since then I have had a love-hate relationship with running and because I have no goal I just run to 'keep it up'. I need a new challenge, a new goal, maybe a long term one this time - I would love to do a triathlon but I only have a treadmill and my mother (with who I used to live) sold my road bike (even though it wasn't hers to sell as I bought it) but we move past that...

So apart from setting yourself a challenge, how else can you motivate yourself? 

Choose a new routine

Now for a lot of people, this can be daunting especially if you like your routine or you don't know where to start with looking for another one - don't worry I am exactly the same. 
Some advice I can give is: look through Pinterest, there are actually loads of great workouts already written up with the pictures to show you how to do the moves, this is where a lot of my workouts come from. 
Another piece of advice is to narrow down what part of the body you want to train and look for specific moves that work/build that muscle. 
You could even speak to a friend who is into fitness and see if they have any advice for you.
And, most importantly be creative with it and have fun! 

Try a new sport

Like myself, some of you might not have been into sports when you were younger so you never tried anything because P.E put you off for life...but I am here to tell you there are SO many different sports nowadays that you are bound to like at least one of them.
It doesn't have to be high intensity or hard work, it could be darts or a sit-down sport of your choice but as long as you enjoy it and it keeps you motivated then you do whatever you want!
Myself and my husband are watching a show on Netflix where people take part in cheese rolling and dog dancing...see, what did I tell you...variety! Go on, try something new - why not? 

Set yourself some goals

This could be anything from gaining muscle to leaning down or wanting to run 5k in under 30 minutes - whatever your goal is, big or small just make sure it's achievable. I recommend breaking bigger goals into smaller goals for example if I wanted to run 10k I would start with as much as I could do at first, keep doing that until I am comfortable then add a little distance each time, and eventually you will end up running 10k! Consistency is key and it needs to be a goal that you want to achieve for yourself and something you can see yourself keeping up with, for instance, running a marathon next month is definitely not achievable for me at the moment - running one next year? Maybe! Just try and be realistic and have fun with it. 

Have fun

Mess around, go out for a walk, go dancing, go and swim in a lake, whatever is it enjoy your life, and make the most of what the world has to offer. 

What are your thoughts? How do you motivate yourself and change up things?

Let me know!

Stay safe! 





Comments

Popular Posts