Pfizer Vaccine - COVID-19 - Will you get yours?

 After speaking to multiple people from different age ranges I noticed that there is a big divide in opinion on whether or not they will get the new COVID vaccine that comes into fruition next week. 

Most of the people I have spoken to will not be in the high priority category so once they get the vaccine it will be in the next few months - at the soonest. And, at this point, I assume the vaccine will have been developed even more. 

But will you get the vaccine? 

I was intrigued this morning and decided to do a bit of reading and whilst I am not a scientist the statistics and the research look extremely positive to me. 

These stats/numbers are taken directly from the Pfizer website

  • Primary efficacy analysis demonstrates BNT162b2 to be 95% effective against COVID-19 beginning 28 days after the first dose;170 confirmed cases of COVID-19 were evaluated, with 162 observed in the placebo group versus 8 in the vaccine group.
  • Efficacy was consistent across age, gender, race, and ethnicity demographics; observed efficacy in adults over 65 years of age was over 94%
  • Safety data milestone required by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) has been achieved
  • Data demonstrate vaccine was well tolerated across all populations with over 43,000 participants enrolled; no serious safety concerns observed; the only Grade 3 adverse event greater than 2% in frequency was fatigue at 3.8% and headache at 2.0%
  • Companies plan to submit within days to the FDA for EUA and share data with other regulatory agencies around the globe
  • The companies expect to produce globally up to 50 million vaccine doses in 2020 and up to 1.3 billion doses by the end of 2021

I have highlighted the facts I thought to be most beneficial to me and the general populous (us none scientific lamens!).  

It is amazing, that even at this time, this vaccine gives 2- 3.8% of people side effects and those side effects are fatigue and headaches...I don't know about you but I get those things fairly often as it is, so to go through that but be in the knowledge I am safe from a potential killer virus, I think I can live with that! There are medicines out there that people take regularly that have worse side effects than these (for example anti-depressants, contraceptives, etc.) 

You have to take 2 doses of the vaccine but as you can see it starts working from the first dose after 28 days. 

Another thing that interested me was that the ones who had the most severe cases (10 cases) 9 were in the placebo group and 1 was in the group who had the vaccine.

 I know people will always have their doubts but the thing that has and always will settle my mind are the cold hard facts - I don't go by hearsay or by opinion when it comes to something like this, and in my opinion, nobody should. What goes into your body is important and you should always know what is happening and why. 

I believe are so lucky to live in this technological era, with all the modern medicine that has been developed we are able to save so many lives. Only the other day I watched a program where a young child had a heart transplant, people 100 years ago would think this was madness, but here we are in 2020 developing vaccines in a matter of months and saving peoples lives every single day.

As you can tell from my post I will be getting the vaccine, if and when it is offered to me. I have had all my vaccinations throughout the years and was amongst the first generations of women to get the cervical HPV vaccine when I was at sixth form college. 

Anyway, this is just a little something to get you thinking - I recommend you go off and do your own research and form your own opinions.

What are your thoughts? Let me know in the comments.

Stay safe! 








Comments

Popular Posts