My first surgery

So, I said I would keep up with this blog but look at what happened again... However, this time I have a genuine excuse for not blogging...I was admitted into hospital. Granted, it was only for 2 days/1 night but before this, I was in a terrible way.

I won't go into too much detail as I think that certain things are best kept between myself and close friends/family, but, it got to a point where I was being sick, fainting and heavily bleeding so much so that I had to have a blood transfusion and in order to deal with the origin of the problem I had to have surgery.


I have never had surgery before and I am not going to lie to you, I was terrified. The doctor came in and explained what would happen and the complications of the procedure, I signed the document and then the anesthetist came in to ask if I was allergic to anything before I was put under.  It was 1.30am when I wheeled into the theatre and I was crying my eyes out, I was put sleep and all I remember is waking up to the nurse saying 'it's all over' - the surgery itself only took 5 minutes.

It was a huge sigh of relief to find out everything went ok and the bleeding stopped almost instantaneously. After this was the recovery, I was still extremely weak from the blood loss and I needed assistance to get up or walk to the toilet. My vitals were checked every hour after the operation as my blood pressure was extremely low.

Due to this, I was in need of a blood transfusion, I had one unit of blood pumped into my arm in hopes that it would increase my levels.


One of the worst things of the whole experience was the number of needles that were shoved into my veins, due to the lack of blood they were unable to draw blood from my arm so they had to keep trying different places, safe to say none of them worked and I gained a fair few marks/bruises from this.

Another thing that was less than pleasing was the food...on my first day after the surgery (I wasn't allowed to eat before the surgery) I had toast, which they said they had to do as a 'special request' because the other choices had milk...I don't drink milk, why is toast such a hardship? Anyway, lunch was the interesting one, I was presented with a pile of vegetables, covered in what looked like a creamy/cheesy concoction sprinkled with what I could only assume was cereal? I asked the nurse what it was and she said it was 'vegetable gratin' with a wince...I tried it, put the fork down and ate the banana that was next to it. The nurse came back, sympathised with me and got me a sandwich instead.

The finest vegetable gratin the hospital had to offer...


The whole experience was new for me and not one I would like to do again in the near future, but the nurses were lovely and everyone tried their best to make me feel as comfortable as possible.

I am currently on iron tablets for my blood and another visit to the doctors has revealed I need to be on antibiotics for a week or so, it seems like one thing after another, but at least things are improving.

I have also thought I was a healthy person but these things can happen to anyone and I am so glad I had the support from my partner, my family and the people at the hospital. Without them, I don't think I could have kept a level head at all.

Anyway, I will be back blogging in the near future when I can get back to the gym and I am able to come up with some new recipes etc.

I want to be honest and open with my readers and I want them to know that life is unpredictable but you need to look after yourself!

Speak soon!








Comments

Popular Posts