Time of the month

I think talking about periods has become a sort of taboo within society...

However, I know it is something that women are actively trying to combat against, including me. I shouldn't be ashamed about buying sanitary products in the supermarket or asking someone for a spare tampon in an emergency. I have also have had it in the past where my partner was embarrassed about buying the products for me which is utterly ridiculous and in my eyes, immature. 

When it comes down to it, periods are natural, just like going to the toilet, being sick, having sex -- it is all part of being human.

All women are different with their cycles, I know roughly when mine will start and I know that the week before it does I will feel low and my appetite will completely vanish. Again, this differs for every woman. The week it starts I get pain and it continues for a couple of days after, sometimes it's extreme, sometimes it's barely noticeable, again, it varies from month to month.

This time of the month makes things difficult for me, as I have said my appetite completely vanishes and when I eat it just feels forced but I know I need the energy. The pain obviously makes training difficult and if I am in real pain most of the time I skip the gym and go for a walk or if I really cannot muster that I will lie on the sofa, wrapped in a blanket feeling sorry for myself. You have to pick your battles - sometimes it's not worth it and doing nothing is the best method when taking care of yourself.

Don't get me wrong, about 90% of the time exercise helps when I am on, it really just helps things move along faster and takes away some of the bloating, this is usually when I do light exercise, cardio mostly. But in the past when I have tried to lift weights and do bodyweight circuits I have made things worse when I have sore muscles it just makes being in pain even harder.

What I am trying to say is go easy on yourself and you need balance in your lifestyle, being on your period is different for every body type.

As some of you may know, when I was underweight I lost my periods for two years, I mean at the time I was grateful as I have quite difficult periods but then I realised it was not normal to lose your periods. Luckily, after a year or so of eating properly, they came back and now I just do my best to combat the hormones/period pain because I know it's natural.

Do what you can, especially if you're in pain, just do some steady cardio or go for a swim, or just eat a tub of ice cream on the sofa whilst watching a chick flick...in the end, if it makes you feel better, do it.

Do not feel ashamed talking about it, if you are in pain at work, tell someone, if you want something because you are in pain you do not have to justify yourself to anyone.

Periods are not pretty but they are healthy so do what you can to get through it easily and comfortably.

Obviously, try and get as much iron in your diet at this time as you will lose a lot through your blood loss! (I always forget) but try to take supplements if you can not manage to eat foods high in Iron (red meat, spinach, nuts etc.)

To be honest with you I am writing this because I am currently on my period and in pain and I just want to help others as much possible. So, what I did to combat it? The other day I lay on the sofa, with a duvet and ate humous crisps...who says life isn't fun??

Over & out for now!






Comments

Popular Posts