To carb or not to carb?



Carbohydrates, they are always talked about during weight loss or when wanting to achieve that leaner physique.

When I started trying to lose weight I slowly started to replace things, such as; white pasta for brown pasta or white rice for brown rice. This change was very successful, I even preferred the taste of the brown alternatives, the pasta has a lovely sweet nutty taste to it. However, my need to replace things became a little obsessive and so did my obsession with cutting out carbs, and eventually I ended up cutting them out completely.

An important thing to remember is carbohydrates are needed to maintain a healthy lifestyle providing energy and stability, especially when starting to or maintaining an exercise regime. Nevertheless I decided to ignore this simple fact and completely cut them out of my diet. In doing this I lacked energy for concentration, exercise and some days I could barely move out of bed..

Just recently I have started to add them back into my diet and it's proving difficult, one of the major side effects is bloating and of course the dreaded weight gain. In not having carbohydrates I did have a lean physique I will admit, but I didn't have the right balance in my diet and I just hope no long term damage has been caused.

I'm writing this as a word of caution to anyone wanting to lose weight, do it slowly and surely and you will get there in the end!

I am disheartened at my current figure even though I still exercise regularly, but I'm hoping to get back to my lean physique the right way this time, and start to enjoy life a bit more with all this new found energy!


No carbs:

  • Fatigue 
  • No energy
  • Depression/Anxiety 
  • Obsessive compulsive
Carbs: 
  • Energy
  • General mood improves
  • Relaxed outlook on life
This is just my personal experience on the matter, I would love to hear yours!

And as I am introducing carbs back into my diet I must stress that I am still only eating 'Good Carbohydrates' rather than refined ones!

Thanks for reading! 





Comments

Popular Posts