Simurgh: The way to Persia

SIMURGH REVIEW


In London's Leicester Square lies a little Persian restaurant named Simurgh.
Me and my mother were on the hunt for somewhere in the midst of the cities hustle and bustle to sit down have a bite to eat.
This proved difficult, there were nice places but all to specialized, and eating healthy out is always a challenge as most people will know.
I must admit I have never tasted Persian cuisine but I have heard excellent things, and more recently I have tried experimenting with lentils which this cuisine seems to use a lot.
We decided the menu looked very interesting and went in; the atmosphere was lovely with candles lit and I'm presuming traditional Persian decor. We were seated right away as it was fairly quiet at that time of day (Around 6pm).

Menu choice:

The menu had a good choice, but I must admit the meat choices were mainly lamb- which I presume is a specialty of the country. Personally, lamb is not a meat I'm fond of and I've always found it quite fatty.

However, there were seafood selections, chicken, vegetarian and of course lamb options.
The menu was split into two, one side was made up of 'grills' and the other of 'stews', all choices came with a selection of different rice and greens. Fantastic.

I went with the vegetarian option of the Halloumi grill, with a selection of seasonal vegetables, a lovely sauce and rice/greens served at the side. My mum went for the chicken in apricot stew, both were delicious.
I have recently been experimenting with different spices and I love a dish with flavour and both of these dishes certainly had that !

Vegetarian grill

Whilst apricot and chicken doesn't sound that appetizing it worked perfectly with the sweetness of the apricot complimenting the spices and the lentils.

Mine was beautifully grilled and I loved the exotic choice of vegetables including eggplant, small red peppers, onion, courgette and mushrooms.

If you love tasty food, good portion sizes and reasonable prices this is the place to go, go on, try something new !

Next time I'm going to splash out and have a starter, because they looked delicious.


Leave a comment if you've ever been to this restaurant or can recommend some more fantastic Persian restaurants!

Comments

Popular Posts